Schools for Children

If you are moving to Eindhoven with small children and need to know what your school options are, there are two main options; International School or The Dutch system. There are pros and cons to both, but our general advice is if you plan to stay in the Netherlands for a period longer than two years, then go through the Dutch system. Although, the only exception to this is if your children are older than 10 years, then perhaps you should consider the International School, as learning a new language and system can be more difficult at this age.

International School Eindhoven (ISE)

You can start by emailing or calling the school to arrange an appointment. You can find all you need to know on the International School Eindhoven website.

Dutch School

The first thing you need to do if you decide to go through the Dutch system is apply for your BSN number (Citizen Service Number).

BSN for children (until the age of 16):

If you want to apply for a citizen service number for your children, your child has to go in-person with you to city hall. The municipality needs the following requirements of the child:

  • Child’s birth certificate (on which you are shown as one of the parents)
  • Passport of the parents (or in any event of the parent present)
  • Child’s passport.

For more information:

Register with a School

Once you have completed this task you can register with a school.  If your child is not fluent in Dutch they will first need to attend The Werldwijzer School Eindhoven, this school is specifically for  foreign children who need to first learn the Dutch language.

Katie from IPSN writes “Both my children attended this school and I can say hand on heart it is an excellent school at teaching the Dutch language to foreign children. But be warned, as a parent, you will also need to learn Dutch as the children learn quick and mostly all administration is in Dutch.

As you will see from their website your child can start at the school once you arrive in the Netherlands. They can start this school at any stage in the school calendar. Your child(ren) will need to stay at the school for a minimum of one year to complete the program, sometimes this can be longer or shorter depending on your child.

While your child attends The Werlwijzer it is advisable to start looking for a Dutch primary school. There is a very good website that you can research the local public schools’ credentials. There are several different school models you can choose from. You must decide what best suits your child and your living situation.

You can find all the information you need to help you choose on these websites:

Once you decide on a few schools you like, you should arrange meetings at each. You can do this by e-mailing or calling the school. We advise you to visit as many schools as you can. This allows you to get a better feel and understanding of each school’s model. Sometimes you may need to do more than one visit to make your decision.

What if my child is not of school-going age?

If your child is not of school going age, you may also send them to PEUTERSPEELAZALL this is for children from the age of 2 to 4. You will also need a BSN for your child and then you can arrange registration at your local PEUTERSPEELZAAL with THE KOREIN. You can find all the details at this website.

It is also possible to obtain extra language support for your 2 to 4-year-old. You can discuss this with one of your Korein workers or G.P. Once your child is eligible for this they can avail of extra free hours at the PEUTERSPEELZAAL, it is called vv indication.